It’s 3am now and I sit at the corner of my bed thinking about my future. Covid has hit most of the industries badly. Will I get a job after finishing college? What if during my online examinations my internet connection isn’t stable? What if covid stays for several years? Why isn’t the vaccine ready yet?
I am sure this is what goes on in most of the student’s mind nowadays. The pandemic has given us a lot of time to rest and think about life. Since we spend a lot of time alone, many negative thoughts cross our minds. Although it truly is more of a physical distancing instead of social distancing, somewhere we are connected yet alone. Hence it is necessary to improve our thoughts because that will bring in more positivity. There is already a lot of uncertainty in the outside world. Bringing in a change in your mindset can impact your lives greatly. Here I list down few ways by which you can improve your positive thinking.
- Be grateful of whatever you have. The little things we take for granted might mean a lot to someone else. Try maintaining a gratitude journal listing the things you are grateful for everyday. This will make you rethink that life isn’t as bad as we imagine it to be. Do not compare yourself with others. You are one of a kind and nobody is like you. Others might get early success, remember that you are almost there. Your success is very near. It comes to everyone at different times. Don’t give up because good days are coming.
- See the brighter side of things instead of only concentration on the negatives. Just like a coin has two sides, every situation or decision has its pros and cons as well. Consider not only the cons but also the pros of every situation.
- Stop thinking about the end results and concentrate more on what you can do at present. Thinking of the consequences will only cause anxiety and fear resulting in negative thoughts. Remember that the future isn’t in your hands and you cannot change the past. The only thing that you are in charge of, is your present actions.
- Be kind as the world outside is harsh enough. Be your own go to person and be true to yourself. Be kind not only to yourself but also to others. You never know what they are going through. Your one smile and kind words can change someone’s day. Nobody forgets how you made them feel. Making others happy, keeps you at peace. Always remember to self motivate yourself under any condition. Spend more time talking to yourself.
- Good company is necessary in every stage of life. Staying around enthusiastic and positive people affects you largely. When you see that people around you are looking more at the positive side of things, you develop a similar mindset. On the other hand, staying around people giving negative vibes makes you like them. Hence choose your company wisely.
Under these situations, it is difficult to fill ourselves with positivity all the time. Yet we should keep trying because giving up is not an option. As Theodore Roosevelt said, “Believe you can and you are halfway there.”